Saturday, February 18, 2012

Teanaway drive

Yesterday was sunless and grey with off and on snow showers; not a good day for a ride.  Since I was feeling a bit of cabin fever, I decided to go for a drive out the Teanaway.  As I went out Airport Road I missed not having the big black dog come out to greet me as he usually does when I ride by. But, by the time I got to the curves of Red Bridge Road
and I could see the hawks soaring above me, my spirits began to lift, even though I was inside a car.  I found Teanaway Road

to be fairly clear of snow and ice and the shoulders are as clear as they will be this summer.  I was somewhat surprised that the Teanaway Mercantile

was closed--it's generally open on weekends for the snowmobilers (who I saw later in the trip) but, perhaps they're only open on Saturday and Sunday.  The store is a bit over 14 miles from town and is a pleasant break--the restroom was always open, even if the store wasn't.  There was a 'For Sale' sign on the store; I hope it remains in business.  I continued out the North Fork road and began encountering areas of snow and ice across the roadway and a lot of sand in the curves and hills. 

Finally, at 21 miles from town, I came to the end of the  (paved) road. 

It was a nice journey and this morning, when I awoke to find 3" of new snow blanketing the landscape, I was glad I made the trip.

1 comment:

Forrest said...

What a difference a few months makes!

I went out and rode the Teanaway on Sunday. It was gorgeous ... in fact, I regret that I didn't explore the area years ago. Better late than never, I guess.

The Mercantile Exchange was closed when I went by, too, and I wondered if it had ever been open. It still has a "for sale" sign.