Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Snake River Canyon grade kicked my butt! I had to ride 8 miles upriver (up-slope) before I got to the real upgrade. I was alternating between walking and riding, depending on the steepness of the slope for about 6 miles when, during one of my rest breaks, a guy driving down stopped, backed up and asked if I was OK. I replied that I was and asked him how far to the top--he said about a mile which coincided with what I had already figured from a conversation I'd had the night before with someone familiar with the area. So, at the end of a mile I saw the 'Pavement Ends' sign I had been expecting; however, when I turned left as directed I found another mile and a half upgrade! I finally made it to Pullman at 3 PM and, although I had intended on going all the way to Garfield, discretion and my legs dictated otherwise. I ended up leaving my bike at one of Frances's co-workers in Pullman and rode home with Frances. I'll go into work with Frances in the morning and finish the ride to Garfield (25 miles) at a leisurely pace.

No comments: